Guidelines for Contributing Writers
What we’re excited to publish
At Touchy Feely, we believe in the power of storytelling. It’s a part of our purpose to support art and the people who make it, by providing a platform for creators to share their work.
That being said, it’s equally important for us to provide tremendous value to our readers. To do that, we must stay true to our mission — helping modern humans adapt to the challenges of modern life by tapping into their inner resources which include creativity, sensitivity, and emotion.
Please keep our community in mind when developing work —we strive to create high-quality evergreen content that inspires, informs, connects, and entertains — we invite you to do the same.
We don’t shy away from the hard stuff and taboo topics. We’re interested in sharing work that is authentic, heartfelt, and raw. We also look for scientifically sound, well-researched work. If you’re not sure what we mean by that, we recommend reading some of the examples below:
- The Crazy Guilty Secret That Helps Me Write by Ryan Holiday
- How to Grow Old: Bertrand Russell on What Makes a Fulfilling Life by Maria Popova
- Brian Eno Expands the Vocabulary of Human Feeling by Austin Brown and Alex Mensing (edited and updated by Ahmed Kabil for the Long Now Foundation).
Psssst… to get more stories like the ones above delivered to your inbox every Tuesday, you can subscribe to our newsletter.
Our platform explores topics that can sometimes be sensitive — from mental health to relationships, to fashion and even finance. Our featured stories are written by people from all walks of life — we strive to share advice that comes from a myriad of perspectives.
Therefore, it’s incredibly important that we provide a safe, creative, inclusive and respectful environment for our contributors, partners and readers to be a part of.
Below are the guidelines we believe will help us provide the best possible experience for our community.
Please consider the following:
- Be respectful and follow good judgment. ‘Nuf said.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
- Please provide sources for any facts that are stated. We will not be able to publish posts missing appropriate sources or work that is not wholly owned by you.
- Tell your story from your own personal perspective, we love opinions! Especially yours :)
- If you choose to write a critical post, make sure it is also actionable and constructive (AKA please provide a solution).
- Please avoid suggesting that another person’s circumstances are better or worse than your own.
- When in doubt, we recommend you reference the Conscious Style Guide which promotes using socially conscious language. On Writing Well by William Zinsser, and The Elements of Style by Strunk & White are excellent resources for writers as well.
- For written work, we recommend using the editing tools Hemingway and Grammarly prior to submitting your work. Helpful friends who are willing to review are always welcome too ;)
We do our best to respond promptly. If you haven’t heard back about a submission within a week, please assume it won’t be published.
We want to honor your voice and the intent of your piece, so please reach out our editor, Kendra, if you have questions or concerns about the way your story may be presented or perceived if published.